News release: “Beginning August 11, you may notice some changes on the PACER website. These changes will include the opportunity to upgrade your PACER account. NOTE: This upgrade is not mandatory. Your current PACER account will still function normally. However, you will need to upgrade your account in order to perform any maintenance functions outside of making a payment. The account upgrades are a feature of the Federal Judiciary’s next generation (NextGen) Case Management/ Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) system, which will allow you to use the same account for both PACER and e-filing access as courts
implement NextGen CM/ECF. Here are some additional improvements you may notice as a result of these changes:
- You will be able to select your own username.
- You will be able to use the same username for both filing and viewing cases in courts that have converted to the NextGen CM/ECF system.
- There will be enhanced security, including a password strength meter that will help you create stronger, more secure passwords.
- There will be a new look to the Manage My Account screen. You will be able to store your credit card information for PACER and/or e-file payments in NextGen CM/ECF.
- There will be one account per user. This means you will use only one account with your own individual username and password. This account will remain with you, even if you move from one firm to another, or if you work individually.”