“The presentation includes random notes and interesting quotes that illustrate not only how researchers are using social media but also how measurements of their social web impact relates to their personal brand and altmetrics. Lorcan Dempsey, OCLC’s Vice President, Research, and Chief Strategist, gave this presentation to staff at the University of Pittsburgh Library System on 7 September 2012. Several takeaways from Lorcan’s presentation include:
- There are different ways of participating in a network world, and they are always changing.
- There is real value in being active online and developing a visible online profile around your professional role.
- The first page of Google results for you is your real homepage.
- Consider your personal brand: how can you ensure that the right youyour professional skill set, not your personal lifesurfaces first when people search you on the web?
- This presentation is available from the OCLC Research website and on SlideShare.”