Press release: "Mr. President, I am pleased to join Senator Cornyn in reintroducing the Openness Promotes Effectiveness in our National Government Act” (the “OPEN Government Act”). This bill contains commonsense reforms to update and strengthen the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) for all Americans...Now in its fourth decade, the Freedom of Information Act remains an indispensable tool in shedding light on bad policies and government abuses. But, today, FOIA also faces challenges like never before. During the past six years, the Bush Administration has allowed lax FOIA enforcement and a near obsession with secrecy to undercut the public’s right to know. As we celebrate Sunshine Week this week, there is urgent need to update and strengthen our FOIA law."
- Statement of Sen. Patrick Leahy, Chairman, Senate Judiciary Committee, On Reintroduction Of The Leahy-Cornyn OPEN Government Act
- Section-By-Section Analysis: Openness Promotes Effectiveness In Our National Government Act Of 2007
- One Pager: Leahy-Cornyn Openness Promotes Effectiveness In Our National Government Act Of 2007
- Leahy Op-Ed: A Sunshine Week Forecast: Mostly Cloudy, Thin Rays Of Hope On The Horizon, as distributed by the Vermont Press Association during Sunshine Week 2007
- Leahy-Cornyn Op-Ed: The OPEN Government Act: An Investment In American Democracy
- Text Of Legislation