November 17, 2011
Food Stamp/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Receipt in the Past 12 Months for Households by State
- In 2010, 13.6 million households reported receiving food stamp/SNAP benefits during the past 12 months.
- The state with the highest food stamp/SNAP participation was Oregon with 17.9 percent. Other states among the highest food stamp/SNAP participation included Tennessee and Michigan.
- States with the lowest food stamp/SNAP participation rates included California, New Jersey and Wyoming.
- There were 16 states in which the increase in food stamp/SNAP receipt was larger than the national increase of 16.2 percent, and 15 states and the District of Columbia had increases that were smaller than the national increase.
- Louisiana was the only state to experience a significant decrease in the receipt of food stamps/SNAP between 2009 and 2010."