"Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) (also called “Producer Takeback”) is a product and waste management system in which manufacturers – not the consumer or government – take responsibility for the environmentally safe management of their product when it is no longer useful or discarded. When manufacturers take responsibility for the recycling of their own products they:
- Use environmentally safer materials in the production process
- Consume fewer materials in the production process
- Design the product to last longer and be more useful
- Create safer recycling systems
- Are motivated to keep waste costs down
- No longer pass the cost of disposal to the government and the taxpayer
- Do we have Producer Responsibility in the US? Some companies are taking responsibility voluntarily for their old products. While we don’t have a national policy requiring producer responsibility, many States are passing laws requiring it within their states. Learn more about state legislation."