News release: “New information detailing the devastating impact of the federally mandated budget cuts known as sequester was released today by the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Based on a survey of Meals on Wheels programscross the country, these findings reveal nearly 70% of Meals on Wheels survey respondents have reduced the number of meals served to the nation’s hungry and homebound seniors.
Among the findings survey respondents revealed:
- Programs have been forced to cut, on average, 364 meals per week;
- Over 70% are establishing or adding to existing waiting lists;
- Programs have increased their waiting lists on average by 58 seniors;
- 40% of programs responding have eliminated staff positions; and
- One in six are closing congregate meals sites or home-delivered meal programs.”