“OCLC Vice President, Research, and Chief Strategist Lorcan Dempsey presented “Scale, engagement, innovation: library directions” at the Montana Library Association’s Offline Conference on 7 February 2014 in Helena, Montana.
Key highlights from the presentation include:
- Montana in the cultural record: fictional accounts of ranch life, Indian wars
- Libraries deliver distinctive value locally by maximizing efficiency and impact collectively
- Libraries are “unbundling”—externalizing back-office operations, focusing on distinctive value creation
- Rightscaling library infrastructure, innovation: above-the-institution solutions enable increased engagement
- Libraries support community knowledge creation—curating collective collection, mobilizing institutional expertise
- Outside-in, inside-out: library focus shifts from acquiring externally created content toward disclosing internally curated assets