DataProt: What’s On the Other Side of Your Inbox: “Did you check your spam folder lately? It’s like walking into a giant shopping mall where everyone wants you to buy their products, hire their services, or marry a Nigerian prince. Thousands upon thousands of emails, all encompassed under a common denominator. Spam. We’ve compiled 20 spam statistics to show just how big this phenomenon has become over the years. SPAM Statistics – Key Findings:
- Spam campaigns exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic have become rampant. The most common techique, according to Symantec, is snowshoe – using multiple IPs and domains for spam campaigns in an effort to avoid detection.
- Nearly 85% of all emails are spam.
- Email spam costs businesses $20.5 billion every year.
- Scams and fraud comprise only 2.5% of all spam email; however, phishing statistics indicate that identity theft makes up 73% of this figure.
- Americans admit to losing more than $70,000 to Nigerian Prince scams in 2019.
- As many as 85% of all organizations have been targeted by phishing scams in 2021.
- Microsoft accounts are the most popular targets of phishing emails, accounting for 43% of all phishing attempts…”