Axios/Ipsos Coronavirus Index: “With new COVID-19 cases plummeting as the Omicron variant continues to recede, Americans report lower risk perceptions of the virus and are increasingly returning to their normal, pre-COVID life. In response, many believe the country should move towards reopening.The poll also finds that while nearly eight in ten (78%) believe we are in a better place than we were a year ago with COVID-19, perceptions of President Biden’s pandemic performance are not strong. Detailed findings:
1. Risk perceptions of COVID-19 are declining as Omicron recedes.
- Fewer are concerned about COVID-19 than in early February (64% vs. 73%).
- Risk perceptions of activities like gathering in person with friends and family or dining in at a restaurant have dropped significantly since early February.
- Four in ten (40%) believe returning to their pre-coronavirus life poses a large or moderate risk to their health (down 16 percentage points compared to early February).
- Roughly one in three (32%) indicate they are wearing a mask at all times when outside the home, a decline of 9 percentage points versus three weeks ago…”