- We use data to tell stories of business-related trends we focus on. We hope others take the ideas, build on them & make them better. At 3.6B, the number of Internet users has surpassed half the world’s population. When markets reach mainstream, new growth gets harder to find-evinced by 0% new smartphone unit shipment growth in 2017.
- Internet usage growth is solid while many believe it’s higher than it should be. Reality is the dynamics of global innovation & competition are driving product improvements, which, in turn, are driving usage & monetization. Many usability improvements are based on data-collected during the taps / clicks /movements of mobile device users. This creates a privacy paradox…Internet Companies continue to make low-priced services better, in part, from user data.
- Internet Users continue to increase time spent on Internet services based on perceived value. Regulators want to ensure user data is not used ‘improperly.’
- Scrutiny is rising on all sides-users / businesses / regulators. Technology-driven trends are changing so rapidly that it’s rare when one side fully understands the other…setting the stage for reactions that can haveunintended consequences. And, not all countries & actors look at the issues through the same lens.
- We focus on trends around data + personalization; high relative levels of tech company R&D + Capex Spending; E-Commerce innovation + revenue acceleration; ways in which the Internet is helping consumers contain expenses + drive income (via on-demand work) + find learning opportunities. We review the consumerization of enterprise software and, lastly, we focus on China’s rising intensity & leadership in Internet-related markets…”