Tony Scott – Federal CIO – Modernizing Federal Sybersecurity – [October 30, 2015] “the Administration directed a series of actions to continue strengthening Federal cybersecurity & modernizing the government’s technology infrastructure. Strengthening the cybersecurity of Federal networks, systems, and data is one of the most important challenges we face as a Nation. Every day, public and private sector leaders – my team included – are directing significant resources to address this ever-growing problem. Yet as cyber threats increase in severity, so does the pace of this Administration’s efforts. Since 2009, the U.S. Government has implemented a wide range of policies, both domestic and international, to improve our cyber defenses, enhance our response capabilities, and upgrade our incident management tools by:
- Directing a comprehensive Cyberspace Policy Review in order to assess U.S. policies and structures for cybersecurity;
- Making cybersecurity one of the Administration’s first cross-agency priority management goals;
- Spurring information sharing through the President’s executive order to encourage the development of Information Sharing and Analysis Organizations (ISAOs) to serve as the hubs for sharing critical cybersecurity information and promoting collaboration for analyzing this information both within and across industry sectors;
- Leveraging cutting edge tools like the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) EINSTEIN and Continuous Diagnostics & Mitigation (CDM) program; and,
- Proposing targeted investments across a range of Federal departments and agencies that improve cybersecurity and protect government networks from cyber-threats.”
- Cybersecurity Strategy and Implementation Plan
- Federal Information Security Modernization Act guidance.