- About 4% of U.S. adults aged 20 and over used prescription sleep aids in the past month.
- The percentage of adults using a prescription sleep aid increased with age and education. More adult women (5.0%) used prescription sleep aids than adult men (3.1%).
- Non-Hispanic white adults were more likely to use sleep aids (4.7%) than non-Hispanic black (2.5%) and Mexican-American (2.0%) adults.
- Prescription sleep aid use varied by sleep duration and was highest among adults who sleep less than 5 hours (6.0%) or sleep 9 or more hours (5.3%).
- One in six adults with a diagnosed sleep disorder and one in eight adults with trouble sleeping reported using sleep aids.”
Prescription Sleep Aid Use Among US Adults
Previous post: CRS – National Security Strategy