CRS - U.S.-Mexico Water Sharing: Background and Recent Developments. Nicole T. Carter, Specialist in Natural Resources Policy; Clare Ribando Seelke, Specialist in Latin American Affairs; Daniel T. Shedd, Legislative Attorney. November 19, 2013.
“This report is a primer on U.S. and Mexican water-sharing topics. It focuses on surface water quantity sharing and recent developments, including drought conditions. Due to Mexico’s recent below-target deliveries of Rio Grande water to the United States, particular attention is given to the status, underlying causes, and responses to the Rio Grande water debt. This report describes:
- legal obligations and processes under the 1944 Water Treaty;
- drought conditions from 2010 to 2013;
- water sharing and developments in the Colorado River Basin;
- water sharing in the Rio Grande Basin and Mexico’s water debt; and
- stakeholder, diplomatic, and legislative responses to Mexico’s Rio Grande water debt.”